Prep time: 15 min | Cooking: 1 hr 20 min | Total: 1 hr 35 min | Servings: 6 | Yield: 6 steaks with gravy
This Baked Chicken-Fried Steak with Mushroom Gravy Recipe is made from a steak that is bake to perfection. This traditional diner with mushroom gravy is a favorite for Sunday dinners, and even for breakfast.
1 cup all-purpose flour
(6) (4 oz) cube steaks
1 cup peanut or vegetable oil
(1) pinch seasoned salt
(1) pinch garlic powder
(1) pinch black pepper
⅔ cup finely diced onion
(1) (10.75 oz) can condense cream of chicken soup
(2) (4.5 oz) cans sliced mushrooms with juice
(½) (10.75 oz) can water, or as needed
1. Preheat oven at about 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×12 inch baking dish. In a shallow dish, place the flour, then dredge steaks in the flour to evenly coat.
2. In a skillet, heat peanut oil over medium heat, then cooks steaks until golden brown, for about 5 to 8 minutes per side.
3. In a prepared baking dish, place (3) fried cube steaks in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle it with seasoned salt, garlic powder, and pepper, then scatter 1/3 c of diced onions over the steaks. Layer the remaining 3 steaks on top, and repeat the seasoning, sprinkle the rest of the onions.
4. In a bowl, pour the condensed soup, then drain the juice from the canned mushrooms into the empty can of soup. In the can, pour in enough water to fill the can, and whisk the liquid and mushrooms into the soup. Pour soup mixture over the layered steaks.
5. In a preheated oven, cover, and bake it for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat at about 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and bake for an additional 30 to 40 minutes until the onions are tender and the gravy thicks and bubbles.
After cooking, we determined the nutritional value of the frying oil based on a retention value of 10 percent. The exact quantity can vary depending on the time and temperature of the cooking, the quality of the ingredients, and the different types of oil used.
Per Serving: 285.8 calories; 31.9 mg cholesterol; 583.1 mg sodium; 18.3 g protein; 23.6 g carbohydrates.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.