Prep time: 15 min | Cooking: 45 mins | Total: 1 hr | Servings: 15 | Yield: 1 9×13-inch pan
Blueberries are the ideal snack, they make the best pancakes, they make the savoriest refreshing smoothies, they ‘re juicy, soft, and they ‘re just so poppable. And of course, they also make the best desserts, and evidence of that is these Blueberry Crumb Bars. Try this Blueberry Crumb Bars out, and you will see what I mean.
These bars are filled with a generous layer of fresh, sandwiched blueberries between a shortbread base and a crumb topping. The layer of blueberry turns jammy as it bakes. I like these best when they’re freshly cooked and still warm. Of course, the next day, they ‘re still good, but that crisp crumb topping will soften a little, so if you’re planning to make them for a get-together, then try to make them the day. It makes these a simple treat with minimum hassle to put together.
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup shortening
¼ tsp salt (optional)
(1) pinch ground cinnamon (optional)
4 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup white sugar
3 tsp cornstarch
1. Preheat oven at about 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
2. Stir a cup of sugar, 3 cups of flour, and baking powder in a medium bowl. If desired, mix in salt and cinnamon. To combine shortening and egg, use a fork or pastry cutter. The dough will be crumbly. In the prepared pan, pat half of the dough.
3. Stir sugar and cornstarch in another bowl. Mix gently in the blueberries. Add and sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble the remaining dough over the berry layer.
4. In a preheated oven, bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is slightly brown. Let it cool before cutting into squares.
If you like, you can substitute fresh berries for frozen. No need to thaw the berries; just bake the bars for another 10 minutes, or until the bubbles and sets are filled.
Per Serving: 318 calories; 77 mg sodium. 45.3 g carbohydrates; 3.3 g protein; 14.4 g total fat; 12 mg cholesterol.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.