Prep time: 30 mins | Cooking: 30 mins | Additional: 30 mins | Total: 1 hr 30 mins | Servings: 8 | Yield: 1 8-inch layer cake
It is inspired by Elvis’ popular peanut butter banana sandwich, which I took to the next stage by adding a wet and easy cake with flavors. Yet without frosting, who could have a cake? It is complemented by creamy peanut butter cream cheese frosting which makes my one-of-a-kind cake full of four favorites. Enjoy this moist and delicious chocolate banana cake with peanut butter cream cheese frosting with your family and friends.
(1) serving cooking spray
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup white sugar
½ cup whole wheat flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
(2) large bananas, mashed
¾ cup buttermilk
½ cup egg whites
⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Frosting:
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese (such as Philadelphia®)
¼ cup creamy peanut butter
¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
(1) banana, sliced
1. Preheat the oven at about 175 degrees C (350 degrees F). Grease two 8 “baking pans with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, mix all-purpose flour, white sugar, whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, stir in mashed bananas, buttermilk, egg whites, applesauce, egg, and a teaspoon of vanilla. Gradually add to the flour mixture and blend until batter is smooth.
4. Divide equally the batter between the prepared cake pans.
5. In a preheated oven, bake for 30 to 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool off for 30 minutes in the pots.
6. In a bowl, blend cream cheese, peanut butter, confectioner’s sugar, and a tsp of vanilla extract; beat until the frosting is creamy with an electric mixer.
7. Push a rubber spatula around the edges of the cooled cakes. Slightly grease a baking sheet with cooking spray. Invert cake pans onto the baking sheet; lightly tap the bottoms to release cakes.
8. Spread frosting over layers of cake. Stack layers; top and bottom frost. Cut to eight slices. Garnish with sliced bananas.
Per Serving: 427 calories; 55 mg cholesterol; 526.1 mg sodium; 11.9 g protein; 63.8 g carbohydrates.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.