I am a fan of Mexican dishes. They are like my kryptonite. And this baby is one of my favourites! I just love how the flavours burst in my mouth. The gooeyness of the cheese, richness, and creaminess of the dish is just wow! The green chiles and chicken broth bring all this to the next level.
8-10 flour tortillas
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature, divided [1/2 and 1/2]
1-2 (4 oz.) cans green chiles
3 cups of cooked chicken, shredded
2 cups of Mexican blend cheese, grated, divided [1 cup; 1 cup]
2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chilli powder
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
fresh cilantro, garnish, optional
1. Ready the oven. Preheat to 350 degrees F. With non-stick spray, lightly grease a 9 X 13-inch baking pan.
2. In a medium-size mixing bowl, stir 1/2 cream cheese, chicken, 1 cup cheese, lime juice, cumin, and chilli powder. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Fill the tortillas with 2 to 3 tablespoon of chicken mixture. Place in the baking pan, seam side down.
4. Melt butter over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper, pour in chicken broth while whisking gradually, and add the green chillies. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cream cheese and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes, or until thickened.
5. Remove pan from heat. Pour sauce over the enchiladas. Top with remaining cheese (I like mine more).
6. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until the cheese and filling is melted and bubbly.
7. This step is optional but you can also broil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until slightly browned.
8. When done remove from the oven and let it rest for about 10 to 12 minutes. Once set, garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve and experience Mexico in every bite.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.