Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins | Total Time: 50 mins | Servings: 4 people
Go all the way Italian for dinner tonight with this scrumptious, packed with veggies Creamy Spinach Mushroom Tortellini with Caramelized Onions. A meatless recipe that is easily modifiable. Add your choice of protein if desired or serve with either fish, shrimp, or scallops.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 yellow onions large
1/4 tsp salt
Creamy pasta sauce:
1 tbsp olive oil
8 ounces mushrooms (I used crimini mushrooms)
8 ounces spinach
1 c. heavy cream
1/4 tsp salt
9 ounces tortellini (I used 3-cheese tortellini, refrigerated)
1/4 tsp black pepper when serving
How to make Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini with Caramelized Onions
To caramelized onions (you can make this a day or two in advance):
Step 1: After peeling the onions, wash them and slice them thinly.
Step 2: In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onions to the hot oil and cook for approximately 10 minutes over high heat while stirring using a spatula.
Step 3: Adjust the heat to medium and resume cooking the onions for another 10 minutes while stirring continuously until the onions are brown. Season with a pinch of salt.
Step 4: Cook for another 10 minutes over medium or low heat to prevent the onions to stick to the bottom of the pan, stirring often. The total cooking time of the onions is about 30 minutes. Then, onto a plate, transfer the onions.
To make the creamy sauce:
Step 5: In the now-empty skillet, heat a tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms to the heated oil and season with a pinch of salt. Cook the mushrooms while stirring occasionally until soft. This takes about 5 minutes.
Step 6: To the skillet, add the fresh spinach, stir, and cook over low heat until it begins to wilt.
Step 7: Return the caramelized onions to the skillet.
Step 8: To the mushroom and spinach mixture, add a cup of heavy cream and 1/4 tsp, then bring the mixture to a quick boil. Quickly decrease to a simmer while stirring constantly for a few minutes.
Step 9: Following the package directions cook the tortellini in a large pot of boiling water for about 7 to 10 minutes. Drain when done.
Step 10: To the creamy sauce, add the tortellini. Stir and cook over low heat for a few minutes until heated through.
Step 11: Before serving, top with cracked black pepper.
Helpful Tips for caramelizing the onions:
1. Feel free to make the caramelized onions in advance. Place in an air-tight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
2. If you chose to freeze the caramelized onions, they will stay good for up to 2 months. Thaw when ready to use.
Substitutions for heavy cream:
1. In place of heavy cream, you can use a cup of half-and-half. Bring to a boil before adding in a cup of shredded Parmesan cheese, then decrease to a simmer, stirring constantly until the cheese has melted.
2. You can also use a cup of coconut milk and follow the recipe as written.
1. For this recipe, you can use either button mushrooms, portobello, cremini, shiitake, or oyster mushrooms.
2. If you chose to substitute spinach, kale and arugula are the best options.
3. Instead of tortellini, you can use pre-made ravioli, gnocchi, or short pasta like bow-tie or penne pasta.
4. If you want this dish gluten-free, you can replace tortellini with gluten-free ravioli or gluten-free, short pasta, like gluten-free bow tie pasta.
5. If desired, you can add either grilled steak, pork chops, or chicken to this dish. And serve this with either fish, shrimp, or scallops.
Amount Per Serving: Calories 544 | Calories from Fat 342 | Fat 38g 58% | Saturated Fat 17g 106% | Cholesterol 105mg 35% | Sodium 640mg 28% | Potassium 621mg 18% | Carbohydrates 38g 13% | Fiber 5g 21% | Sugar 5g 6% | Protein 14g 28% | Vitamin A 6190IU1 24% | Vitamin C 21.5mg 26% | Calcium 198mg 20% | Iron 3.6mg 20%
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.