In this lovely, rich, moist cake you can taste the eggnog. You can make enough in a jiffy for the recipe. There’s nothing like this impressive cake to say southern hospitality. Set aside 1/4 of a cup of the frosting to decorate the top, if you like. Enjoy this mouthful recipe with your family and friends.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
For the Cake:
½ cup butter, room temperature
1 ¼ cups white sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup prepared eggnog
2 tablespoons bourbon whiskey
For the Frosting:
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups prepared eggnog
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 ½ cups white sugar
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon rum-flavored extract
⅛ teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
½ cup finely chopped toasted pecans (optional)
1. Preheat the oven at about 175 ° C (350 ° F). Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Beat in a large bowl 1/2 cup butter and 1 1/4 cup sugar until fluffy and light. The mixture should be much lighter. Add the eggs one by one, so that each egg can be mixed into the butter before the following is added. Stir and mix in 1 tsp of vanilla extract and 1/4 tsp of citrus fruit.
3. Put in a bowl 2 cups of flour and baking powder together with 1 tsp of salt. Pour the flour and 1 cup of eggnog in the batter alternately then mix until just incorporated into the flour mixture. Stir bourbon mixture and divide the batter into prepared pans evenly.
4. In a preheated oven, bake it for 35 min until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean when pulled out. Cool for 10 minutes before transfer to the wire rack to fully cool.
5. Combine 1/4 of a cup of flour and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a pan for frosting. Add 1 1/2 cups of eggnog then gradually whisk to smooth.
6. Bring to a boil, stirring often over medium heat. Whisk constantly, bring the mixture to boil for 2 min. or until thickened. Remove it from the heat and cool to room temperature completely.
7. In a bowl, beat 1 c of butter and 1 1/2 c of sugar until the texture is soft and fluffy. Combine 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract, rum extract, and 1/8 of a teaspoon of grated lemon peel in a cooled egg mixture. Beat at high speed until the mixture has been fully incorporated and the frosting is fluffy.
8. Spread the cake with frosting between the layers, the top, and on the sides. Coat the sides with toasted pecans and press the nuts in small handfuls on the sides. Cool until serving time.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.