Prep time: 15 min | Cooking: 55 min | Total: 1 hr 10 min | Servings: 8 | Yield: 8 servings
I have always been fascinated with my grandpa’s recipes. Living with him makes life more meaningful because he always tells stories about his life when he was a child, and when my mom was a child. He always points out that failures are part of life, and that one should embrace it, and persevere even more.
My grandfather used to make his version of this German Pork Chops and Sauerkraut, and he got this recipe from his friend at work. It has a perfect blend of Old Country in a classic treatment for pork. I don’t know why, but I’m so fond of that dish. I hope you’ll make your version of this recipe, enjoy while your digging in with your family and friends. Trust me, it’ll easily become one of your children’s favorite recipes.
(8) eaches center-cut pork chops
2 pounds sauerkraut, drained
(1) large red apple, diced
(1) onion, chopped
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp Caraway seeds
1. Preheat oven about 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes per side, and brown the pork chops on both sides. Add and place the chops into a 9×13-inch baking dish.
3. In a bowl, add and mix sauerkraut, apple, onion, brown sugar, and caraway seeds until well combined. Then, spread the sauerkraut mixture over the pork chops, cover dish with an aluminum foil.
4. Bake until the pork is no longer pink inside, about 45 minutes in a preheated oven. An instant-read thermometer inserted into a chop’s center should read 145°F (63°C).
You can serve this recipe with simple mashed, or boiled potatoes, but a more vibrant preparation such as German potato salad made with hard-boiled eggs crumbled bacon and a sweet and sour sauce is a classic option. When your picky kids are not tempted by sweet and sour sauce, use the creamy dressing instead.
Per Serving: 362.6 calories; 70.2 mg cholesterol; 800 mg sodium; 29.2 g protein; 38.6 g carbohydrates.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.