We like to take pots and family parties with our casseroles because they are easy to transportation and heat, not to mention, delicious. We knew that we had a winner when we found this recipe for hamburger pasta. When we make this for large groups, we use a tabletop, but more often, we whip up and bake in our tried and true casserole dish on a smaller scale. It uses beef, carrots, and peas, all of which are sandwiched in heavy gravel between two layers of creamy, mashed potatoes, and are covered in the tons of gooey cheese. We take the skin off our potatoes because we like the smooth texture, but for this casserole, skin-on potatoes are good too. Prove the next time you need crowd-pleasing comfort food, our hamburger and potato baked.
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
3 lbs (peeled and quartered) Yukon Gold potatoes
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
8 ounces of frozen peas
1 1/2 c cheddar cheese (1/2 c for potatoes, 1 c for the top), shredded and divided
1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 cup milk
4 tbsp butter (2 tbsp for beef, 2 tbsp for potatoes), divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt (1/2 teaspoon for potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon for beef), divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven at about 350 degrees F
2. Boil potatoes until they are fork-tender into a large pot. Drain and add 1/2 tsp of salt, 2 tbsp of butter. Smash until soft. To combine, add the cheese and stir. Transfer in an 11×9-inch aluminum or casserole dish of half of the potatoes to the bottom.
3. Saute the ground beef, salted and peppered, until cooked. Transfer the beef to the plate with a towel of paper for drainage.
4. Sprinkle the carrots and the onions in the same pot over medium heat. Add beef to ground and mix. Add butter, peas, garlic, Italian, pepper, and salt reserved, then cook for about 3 minutes to light brown garlic. Stain with flour and mix in. Pour in a broth of beef and stir to thicken.
5. Spread the potato beef mixture and cover with reserved potatoes. Bake until bubbling and browned for 30 minutes, top with reserved cheese.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.