Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 2 hrs | Total time: 2 hrs 10 mins | Servings: 8
Fall off the bone tender chicken wings cooked slowly in Honey BBQ sauce. If you want crispy/golden wings, quickly broil them in the oven. To serve, smother the wings with the delicious sauce and serve with extra sauce or simply serve it on the side.
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp season salt
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp chilli powder
Honey BBQ Sauce:
1 c. BBQ sauce (I used the original recipe)
1/2 c. honey
2 tbsp hot sauce (I use Frank’s original)
3 tbsp apple juice or apple cider
4 lbs chicken wings, patted dry
2 tbsp cornstarch
How to make Honey BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken Wings
Step 1: Combine the spice mix ingredients (brown sugar, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, ground black pepper, and chilli powder) in a small bowl.
Step 2: In the slow cooker, place the chicken wings and sprinkle with the spice mix. Toss to coat the wings well.
Step 3: Add the Honey BBQ sauce ingredients (BBQ sauce, honey, hot sauce, and apple juice or apple cider) in a small bowl. Whisk until well mixed. Over the wings, pour the sauce mixture and toss to coat.
Step 4: Put the lid on and cook on High for 2 hours or Low for 3 to 4 hours.
Step 5: When done, serve the wings right away or broil if you want crispy/golden wings.
Step 6: To make the sauce thicker, whisk the cornstarch with about a tablespoon or two cold water. Stir this into the sauce and continue to cook for another 10 minutes on high.
Broiling the wings to make them crispy and golden:
1. Using aluminium foil, line a baking sheet. On top, place a cooling rack. You can broil the wings in batches on 2 baking sheets.
2. On the cooling rack, place the cooked wings without touching each piece. Set the oven to broil, place the wings inside for about 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Flip the wings carefully and resume boiling for 2 to 3 minutes more.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the cornstarch with 2 tbsp water. Add this to the slow cooker and stir well. Set the slow cooker on high for about 15 to 20 minutes to slightly thicken the sauce.
4. Place the wings back into the slow cooker and toss them gently to coat with the sauce. Alternately, you can simply place the wings in a serving bowl, serving the sauce on the side.
1. When broiling, make sure to set the oven racks at least 3 to 4-inches from the heating element.
2. If you want to make the sauce thicker, prepare the slurry. You can skip this step if you are okay with how the sauce turned out.
Calories: 420kcal (21%) | Carbohydrates: 37g (12%) | Protein: 23g (46%) | Fat: 19g (29%) | Saturated Fat: 5g (31%) | Cholesterol: 94mg (31%) | Sodium: 1130mg (49%) | Potassium: 319mg (9%) | Sugar: 31g (34%) | Vitamin A: 455IU (9%) | Vitamin C: 3.7mg (4%) | Calcium: 30mg (3%) | Iron: 1.6mg (9%)
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.