Hungarian goulash is a tender and slow beef, flavored with sweet paprika and caraway seeds, cooked in a rich tomato broth. Small, convenient Instant Pot and Slimming cooker easy to make on your stove too! Goulash, or sometimes soup, is a traditional Hungarian beef stew, flavored with paprika and caraway seeds. The powder is (some) added to thicken the stew, such as potatoes, carrots, turkey, and peppers. Hungarian sweet peppers are the secret to these recipes – try to make a difference in the flavor.
2 tbsp olive oil cooking spray
2 onions, diced
3 garlic cloves sliced
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp salt
2 lb (950g) of stewing beef, trimmed of fat, cubed
2 tbsp sweet Hungarian paprika
½ tsp of cayenne pepper (optional – use if you like a bit of spice)
2 c (500ml) of beef stock (low sodium broth)
14 oz (400g) chopped tomatoes
3 carrots, roughly chopped
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed (optional)
2 red bell peppers, sliced
Salt and pepper to season
Soured cream to serve (optional)
1. Pat the beef with salt and pepper and sauté. Place the oven on the lower 3rd of the oven at 160 degrees C / 325 degrees F.
2. In a large, heated casserole, heat the olive oil (or use olive oil spray). Cook onions carefully, stirring occasionally, until softened for 5-7 minutes.
3. Turn the heat up slightly and add seeds from the caraway, sliced garlic, and salt. Add beef, if appropriate, in batches. Clean the beef for a few minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and add the paprika, stir well in the meat to incorporate the aromatic spice.
5. Return the heat and add the carrots, tomatoes, and beef stock.
6. Take to a boil, cover, and cook over low heat in a 160 degrees C/325 degrees F preheated oven for an hour, either on the burner.
7. Stir in the potatoes and uncover. Cover for another hour and then eat.
8. Now add the peppers and continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
9. Check the seasoning and stir in salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve for moping up the wonderful sauce with some soured cream and crusty bread.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.