Hungarian goulash is a tender, slowly-cooked beef, flavored with sweet paprika and coarse seeds, in a rich broth of tomatoes. Easy to make Instant Pot and Slimming on your stove, slow cooker too. Gulash is a traditional Hungarian beef stew with pepper and caraway seed, or sometimes soup. Pumpkin, carrots, snows, peppers, and vegetables are added (in some cases) to thicken the stew. The secret of this recipe is the paprika, trying to bring the Hungarian Sweet Paprika to the taste.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, diced
3 garlic cloves sliced
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp salt
2 lbs (950g) stewing beef (trim the fat), cubed
2 tbsp sweet Hungarian paprika
½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
2 c (500ml) of beef stock, low sodium broth
14 oz (400g) chopped tomatoes
3 carrots, roughly chopped
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed (optional)
2 red bell peppers, sliced
Salt and pepper to season
Soured cream to serve (optional)
For Stovetop and Oven Method:
1. Dry beef and season salt and pepper to taste. Put the oven to 160C/325F and place the rack on the lower portion of the oven.
2. In a large lidded casserole dish, heat a little olive oil (or use the spray of olive oils). Cook the onions carefully, stirring occasionally, until soft for 5-7 minutes.
3. Turn the heat and add the caraway, garlic sliced, and salt to it slightly. If necessary, add beef to batches. Cook the beef for a minute until brown.
4. Take the heat out of the pan. Stir well into your meat, then add the paprika.
5. Return to the heat, add the beef stock, tomatoes, carrots.
5. Cook on the preheated oven for an hour or in a 160C / 325F, cover, and let it simmer.
7. Stir the uncover potatoes. Take another hour to cover and cook.
8. Add the peppers and cook 30 minutes.
8. Check the taste, if desired season more salt and ground pepper. Serve the delicious sauce with soured cream and crusty bread.
For Instant Pot Goulash:
1. Sauté selects, heat the oil, cook the onions, stir for 5 minutes.
2. Add caraway seed and garlic. If necessary, sear in batch the beef until sealed.
3. To deglaze the pot, add a splash of the stock. Mix the paprika, the carrots, and the potatoes.
4. Add the beef and put the tomatoes together (do not mix them).
5. Make sure the vent is set to sealing, cover, and cook at high heat for 35 minutes. Allow the natural release for 10 minutes and then release it manually.
6. Remove the potatoes and then select saute. Cook until slightly smooth for about 5 minutes. Check the taste and serve as you wish.
For Slow Cooker Method:
1. Follow steps 1 to 5 of the stove procedure then move the potatoes to the slow cooker. Cook low without opening the lid for 7 hours.
2. Cut the sliced peppers and stir them. Cook until peppers are soft, or for 30 minutes. Check the taste then serve.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.