Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins | Total Time: 35 mins | Yield: 4 Servings
I cannot wait for you to try these Italian Meatball Subs. It’s my go-to and favourite on movie nights, sleepovers, even to serve at parties. The fresh meatballs with marinara, mozzarella, and Italian spices combined and baked to melty perfection!
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 c. Italian breadcrumbs (see notes)
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese (plus more for topping)
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 c. marinara (or pasta sauce)
4 sub rolls
1 1/2 c. finely shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley (optional)
HOW TO MAKE ITALIAN MEATBALL SUBS
Step 1: Combine the ground beef with Italian breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, egg, oregano, basil, onion powder garlic powder, and pepper.
Step 2: Cook the meatballs in a large skillet over medium heat until all sides are browned. When done, drain the excess grease. Pour the marinara over the meatballs and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Step 3: In the meantime, spread butter on sub rolls and toast under the broiler.
Step 4: On the bottom of the rolls, spread half of the cheese. In each roll, place 5 meatballs, then top with the rest of the cheese. Put them under the broiler until the cheese has just melted.
Step 5: Remove from the broiler when done and sprinkle the subs with Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley if desired. Enjoy immediately.
1. For fewer additives and preservatives, I suggest using croutons. Just crush them in a mini food processor.
2. In place of fresh meatballs, you can also use frozen.
3. For this recipe, you can use either meatless pasta sauce or marinara sauce.
4. If fresh submarine rolls or hoagie rolls are not available, you can use hot dog buns instead. Note that hot dog buns can hold around 3 pieces of meatballs.
5. For a pleasing presentation and to tip the sandwiches on their side, use a large casserole dish (like a 9 x 13-inch).
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.