Prep time: 30 min | Cooking: 45 min | Total: 1 hr 15 min | Servings: 8 | Yield: 8 servings
Southerners are aware that King Ranch Chicken reigns supreme when it comes to covered dish suppers, potlucks, or just busy weeknights. The familiar mix of pulled chicken, fiery green chiles, corn tortillas, and warm canned soup brings us back to a dining table, surrounded by our loved ones. Although the King Ranch Chicken recipe, has origins in Lone Star State, it’s loved by professional home cooks across the South and beyond.
1 tbsp vegetable oil
(1) white onion, diced
(1) red bell pepper, diced
(1) green bell pepper, diced
(1) (10.75 oz) can condense cream of mushroom soup
(1) (10.75 oz) can condense cream of chicken soup
(1) (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
1 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp sour cream
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ancho chile powder
½ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp chipotle chile powder
(1) cooked chicken, cut into chunks or torn into shreds
(8 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese
(10) eaches corn tortillas, cut into quarters
1. Preheat the oven about 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Cook and saute onion, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper in hot oil until warmed through, about 2 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, add and stir the onion-pepper mixture, cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, sour cream, cumin, ancho chile powder, oregano, and chipotle chile powder until sauce is well-combined.
4. Spread a few tbsp of the sauce in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish. Spread 1/2 the chicken over the sauce. Spread over the chicken about half the sauce and top with 1/3 the cheese. Spread layer of tortillas over the cheese. Spread remaining 1/2 the chicken over the tortillas, and top with almost all of the remaining sauce, reserving 1/2 cup sauce. Add and top with 1/3 the cheese, remaining tortillas, the reserved 1/2 cup sauce, and the remaining 1/3 cheese.
5. In a preheated oven, bake casserole until bubbling, about 40 minutes. Increase oven temperature to broil. Cook the casserole for 2 to 3 minutes, or until it turns golden on top.
Per Serving: 479.1 calories; 99.5 mg cholesterol; 890.3 mg sodium; 32 g protein; 24.9 g carbohydrates.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.