The four layers of this spring dessert ‘s rich, velvety lemon cake are impressive, but the real star of this citrus stunner is the silky-smooth homemade frost. Tucked between each tier and wrapped one lick of the frosting taste along the outside of the cake, and you’ll quickly understand why this lemon velvet cake is so popular. The satiny spread is made from a mixture of cream cheese and whipping cream, sweetened with powdered sugar and ground lemon peel. The tangy flavor of luxurious frosting coupled with the base of moist lemon velvet cake makes this showstopper a familiar fan favorite.
1-1/4 c sifted all-purpose flour
1-1/2 c sifted cake flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 c sugar
2/3 c vegetable oil
1/3 c shortening
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp lemon extract
(3) large eggs
1-1/2 c buttermilk
(2) lemon zest, grated and finely chopped
8 c powdered sugar
2 c butter
1 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp minced lemon zest (optional)
4 tbsp milk
1. Grease and flour (2) 9-inch round cake pan, and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
2. Drizzle both flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the oil, shortening, vanilla, and lemon extract. Beat at high speed with the whisk attachment, until soft and fluffy.
4. Beat eggs one by one
5. Fold in lemon zest.
6. Alternatively, fold it in dry ingredients with buttermilk. Start and finish off with dry ingredients. Don’t over-mingle.
7. Pour batter into two slices of cake. Bake for 30-35 minutes, at 325 degrees. Allow a turn out to cool for 10 minutes to finish cooling.
8. Do frosting. Mix the powdered sugar, lemon zest, and butter until crumbly.
9. Add a little of the milk and lemon extract.
10. Beat until smooth and fluffy, adding just enough milk to a spreadable consistency to bring frosty.
11. Fill and frost the cake
Put strips of waxed paper on the edge of a plate to keep the serving plate clean when frosting the cake. Remove and decorate after frosting.
If you’re looking for a strong citrus flavor, try adding a small additional lemon peel.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.