This summer salad, along with sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions, is a simple mixture of oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. I love serving it cold. I usually add ice cubes just before serving it, so refreshing for a hot summer day. During the summer months, the cucumbers are so abundant and cheap. If you’ve got a vegetable garden, you’ve no doubt got more to do than you know. Cucumbers are also incredibly low in calories and very high in water. These are a great way to stay hydrated throughout the summer.
This marinated cucumber, onion, and tomato salad are reminiscent of an Israeli salad made from diced tomatoes, cucumbers, and lots of parsley. Use vinegar or fresh lemon juice for the dressing. The sweeter the onions, the better because we add raw onions to the salad. Try Walla Walla onions, or Vidalia onions if you can find them.
1 cup of water
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp fresh, coarsely ground black pepper
(3) cucumbers, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
(3) tomatoes, cut into wedges
(1) onion, sliced and separated into rings
1. In a bowl, add and whisk together water, vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, and pepper until smooth; add and stir the cucumbers, tomatoes, and onion to coat.
2. Use a plastic wrap to cover the bowl; refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
1. Add some fresh chopped dill or a dried Italian seasoning for more flavor.
2. Use red onion rather than sweet onion.
3. Use the cherry tomatoes rather than regular tomatoes.
4. Instead of apple cider vinegar, you can use rice wine vinegar, distilled white vinegar, or red wine vinegar.
5. You can use olive oil instead of vegetable oil.
6. Peel out the cucumbers or leave on the skin.
7. Use (2) regular cucumbers if either English or Persian is not available.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.