Prep time: 20 mins | Cooking: 10 mins | Total: 30 mins | Servings: 6 | Yield: 6 servings
Okra patties are perfect for any meal. Okra was always a very popular vegetable in some countries. If you like okra, you’ll love this simple, fast okra patties recipe. Try out these on your friends and family. I bet you’ll be surprised how fine they are. You’ll be making an old fashioned Southern dish over and over again. Okra patties have long been a staple in our house. My family never gets sick of this recipe, and everything goes along with it. Even people who don’t like okra would like those okra patties.
Okra is one of those vegetables people love or hate. Since it is rich in food, vitamins A and C, folate, thiamine, potassium, and magnesium, it is healthy for you. The okra patties are very simple to put together, and the amounts of the ingredients need not be exact. You are free to tweak and enjoy playing around with the ingredients.
3 cups vegetable oil for frying
1 pound okra, finely chopped
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
½ cup of water
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup cornmeal
1. In a large skillet, heat an inch of oil at about 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
2. Mix the okra, onion, salt, pepper, water, and egg in a large bowl. Combine flour, baking powder, and cornmeal; stir that into the okra mixture.
3. Drop spoonfuls of okra batter carefully into the hot oil, fry each side until golden for 2 minutes per side. Remove it using a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels.
1. They were really good to eat with a little ketchup. For the other half, you can add cumin and garam masala for an Indian-inspired flavor, or eat it with tamarind chutney and also really enjoyed the combination.
2. Choose small okra (2 to 3 inches in length, otherwise it will be tough), deep green, solid, and blemish-free.
Per Serving: 224.1 calories; 31 mg cholesterol; 467.1 mg sodium; 4.8 g protein; 25.1 g carbohydrates.