Thank you, Greece for this amazing Balaklava recipe! Ever since I tasted this amazingly delicious dessert, I said, I needed to know how to make it. Good thing I went to Greece last year and talked to some pastry chefs and asked for this recipe. Try this out! Another good thing about this is the filo dough. You can buy this at any department store in your area. It is not hard to find.
I usually let it sit overnight at room temperature so the honey can soften the layers. You would have that incredible texture to it. Oh man, looking at this picture just makes me want to bake it again! Let’s do it together! Have fun baking!
1 (16 oz.) package filo pastry dough, thawed
13 tbsp. melted unsalted butter, divided
4 cups walnuts, chopped finely
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup white sugar
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup pure honey
How to make Old Fashioned Baklava
1. Cut the filo pastry to 13 x 9 inches. Then, cover with a damp towel.
2. Grease with 1tbsp. melted butter the 13×9 inch baking dish. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine the lemon juice, sugar, water, and hone. Turn the heat to medium-high and let it boil. Continue stirring for the sugar to be dissolved.
4. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 4 minutes. Don’t stir.
5. Move the pan away from the heat and let it cool.
6. Ready the oven. preheat to 325 degrees F.
7. Put the walnuts in a food processor until finely chopped.
8. In a medium bowl, add cinnamon and chopped walnuts then stir.
9. Place 10 filo sheets into the baking dish. (Lay one filo at a time.) Brush melted butter in between the layers of the sheets. Sprinkle about 3/4 cup of the walnut and cinnamon mixture on top of the dough. (Make sure to spread it to even layer.)
10. Place 5 sheets of filo dough on top of the walnut and cinnamon mixture. Brush in between layers with melted butter then sprinkles with 3/4 cup of the walnut and cinnamon mixture.
11. Do this procedure repeatedly until the walnut and cinnamon mixture is all used up. Lay 10 sheets of buttered filo dough on top.
12. Brush the top layer with melted butter. Slice into 1 1/2 inch strips. Slice diagonally to form a diamond-shaped look.
13. Bake in the oven for 1hr and 25 minutes uncovered or until the color turns golden.
14. Drizzle the top layer evenly with cooled honey syrup right after you remove it from the oven.
15. Let it cool before serving. Enjoy!
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.