Prep. time: 25 mins | Cooking: 20 mins| Total: 45 mins| Servings: 12| Yield: 12 servings
Do you want to reinvent your usual hard-boiled egg? Then this recipe is for you. Old-fashioned Pickled Red Beet Eggs is a unique recipe to transform your average hard-boiled to another level. Beet juice is a common way of pickling eggs, so the egg whites turn a pretty fuchsia pink. You can serve this as a snack, get together like summer BBQ, and picnic.
Seriously, this recipe is so simple to make. Old-Fashioned Pickled Red Beet Eggs is a well-balanced spice blend that makes this colorful, sweet, and tangy recipe the tastiest version. I make them all year round for snacking, slicing on top of salads, or deviling. The mixture of pickled eggs, beets, and onions are pretty astounding. A great way to use Easter-eggs leftover too.
1 (15 oz) can beets
(1) onion, thinly sliced
(12) hard-cooked eggs shelled and left whole
¼ cup white sugar
½ cup vinegar
1. Drain the beet liquid into a saucepan. In a pitcher or large bowl, place the beets, onions, and eggs.
2. Pour sugar and vinegar over the beet liquid into the saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce to low heat and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes.
3. Pour beet juice mixture over the beets, eggs, and onions. Seal, and refrigerate the bowl or pitcher. Let it cool for at least one to three days in the refrigerator; the longer they can sit, the better they ‘re going to taste.
1. Before eating the first one, make sure that the eggs remain in the refrigerator for at least 48 hours. They live well up to one month, so do not feel that when they are up, you must bolt them down. The longer you wait, the more it penetrates the eggs.
2. If desired, you can add cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and peppercorns in your version, for a subtle spiced flavor.
Per Serving: 108 calories; 212 mg cholesterol; 112.4 mg sodium; 6.6 g protein; 8.1 g carbohydrates.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.