Sweet orange drop cookies and butter have a fluffy cake-like texture bursting with orange flavor. They are covered with a thick layer of orange icing that takes them across the top. These cookies have been a long standing tradition in my family. Orange drop cookies always appear on the sweet table for special occasions like a bridal shower, baptism, or a milestone birthday gathering. They are irresistible straight upwards.
So I usually don’t expect a special occasion to make cookies, I make them anytime. They ‘re quite good, and two or three at a time I’ve been known to eat. Cookies are dusted simply with glazing sugar, this is an excellent way of portraying them.
2/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tsp orange zest
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp orange juice
1 tsp orange zest
1. Preheat oven at about 175 degrees C (350 degrees F). Grease the cookie sheets.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, and baking soda and salt. In the flour mixture, stir in 1/2 cup orange juice and 1 tsp rind.
3. Cream shortening, along with white sugar. Thoroughly mix the egg into the sugar mixture. Slowly blend the flour mixture into the mixture of egg and sugar. Drop onto greased baking sheet by the teaspoonful.
4. Bake for about 8-10 minutes.
5. Make the icing: Mix up the sugar from the confectioner and 2 tbsp butter until smooth. Place in the sugar and butter mixture 2 tsp of orange juice and 1 teaspoon of orange rind, then blend well. When the cookies have cooled, they generously spread the icing over the tops of the cookies.
Ideally, baked cookies are served the same day. They freeze in an airtight container to store cookies for a longer time. Transfer them to a rack to thaw frozen cookies to defrost at room temperature.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.