Prep time: 10 min | Cooking: 45 min | Total: 55 min | Servings: 12 | Yield: 12 servings
This sweet cornbread cake is light, fluffy, moist & sweet, with deliciously crispy golden brown edges. We are great lovers of cornbread in our house and love it in a super-moist and smooth way, with a sweet, fluffy texture and a slightly crispy finish. This recipe is widely popular and is often requested. And, if you don’t like cornbread, this one will change your mind more than likely.
1 cup cornmeal
3 cups all-purpose flour
(1 ⅓) cups white sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
(⅔) a cup of vegetable oil
⅓ cup melted butter
2 tbsp honey
(4) eggs, beaten
2 ½ cups whole milk
1. Preheat oven about 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
2. In a mixing bowl, stir cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pour in the vegetable oil, melted butter, honey, beaten eggs, and milk, and stir just to moisten.
3. In a prepared baking dish, pour the batter and bake for 45 minutes, until the cornbread starts to brown and show cracks on the top.
1. I just like eating my cornbread plain and easy most of the time, but sometimes it’s fun being creative with add-ins. For an extra-corny version, throw in a few handfuls of fresh, frozen, or canned corn kernels.
Crisp a few slices of bacon, and crumble them for a smoky, savory bacon cornbread into your batter.
Cut one or two jalapeno pepper in thin rounds and swirl into them to take a hot jalapeno.
Fold to easy, cheesy cornbread in a few handfuls of shredded cheddar cheese.
2. To make this gluten-free, simply substitute the all-purpose flour with a mix of gluten-free flour.
3. Keep this tightly sealed, or put it into a zip-top bag, and at room temperature, it will remain fresh for a few days. You can keep this for about an hour in the fridge. Only take it out one or two servings at a time, and let it thaw at room temperature.
Per Serving: 460.7 calories; 80.6 mg cholesterol; 519.1 mg sodium; 7.9 g protein; 61.1 g carbohydrates.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.