Prep time: 20 min | Cooking: 20 min | Total: 40 min | Servings: 4 | Yield: 4 steaks
The Best Chicken Fried Steak is fried to golden perfection and served with the most delicious gravy you can imagine, sure to soon become a favorite of the family. A more quintessential Southern meal than Chicken Fried Steak and Gravy is hard to imagine. The hard part is deciding whether you’d like to do it for breakfast or dinner. With the deliciously crispy, crunchy coating, my family can not get enough of those tender steaks.
(4) (1/2 pound) beef cube steaks
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp black pepper
¾ tsp salt
1 ½ cups buttermilk
1 tbsp hot pepper sauce
(2) cloves garlic, minced
3 cups vegetable shortening for deep frying
¼ cup all-purpose flour
4 cups of milk
(1) pinch kosher salt and ground black pepper
1. Pound steaks to about 1/4-inch thickness. Add and place 2 cups of flour in a shallow bowl. Stir together the baking powder, baking soda, pepper, and salt in a separate shallow bowl; stir in the buttermilk, egg, Tabasco Sauce, and garlic. Dredge each of the steaks first in the flour, then in the batter, and again in the flour. Put the flour onto each steak ‘s surface so that they are fully coated with dry flour.
2. In a deep cast-iron skillet, heat shortening about 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Fry the steaks until evenly golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Add and place fried steaks on a plate with paper towels to drain. Drain the fat from the skillet, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid and as much of the solid remnants as possible.
3. Put the skillet back to medium-low heat with the reserved oil. Whisk the remaining flour into the oil. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula to release solids into the gravy. Stir in the milk, raise the heat to medium, and bring the gravy to a simmer, cook until thick, 6 to 7 minutes. Add and season with kosher salt and pepper. Spoon the gravy over the steaks to serve.
The nutritional data for this recipe contains the breading ingredients in full. The amount of breading eaten can vary. Upon cooking, we calculated the nutritional value of frying oil based on a retention value of 10 percent. The exact quantity can vary depending on the time and temperature of cooking, the density of the ingredients, and the particular type of oil being used.
Per Serving: 791.1 calories; 123.6 mg cholesterol; 1393.4 mg sodium; 47 g protein; 71.1 g carbohydrates.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.