I despised cabbage before, a few years ago, I tried fried cabbage and now I just enjoy it. For fried cabbage online there are so many different variations, but this is the one recipe that we loved for many years! Why? Because you will fry your shredded cabbage in bacon grease for ultimate flavor and true southern style cooking. The flavor alone will make your life change. But you need not go searching for bacon grease. First, you fry the bacon, get it nice and crisp, then remove it with a slotted spoon to keep as much grease as possible in your pan.
I know the cabbage is one of those unusual vegetables people hate or love. If you don’t like it, give this recipe a shot seriously, and you may also start to enjoy cabbage.
3 pork bacon strips thick-cut
1 medium (about 3 lbs) cabbage head roughly chopped
1 medium onion diced
1 medium red bell pepper diced
1/3 cup of water
1/4 tbsp. red pepper flakes
1 tbsp. hot sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Sauté the bacon, bell pepper, and onion over medium heat for 7 minutes in a large non-stick skillet.
2. Add the red, salt, and pepper flakes and stir well.
3. Put water and chopped cabbage into the pot. Cook, stirring for approximately 20-25 minutes occasionally or until water is removed.
4. Hold on frying the cabbage for about 10 minutes once the water evaporates.
5. Take the skillet off oil. Remove into the hot sauce. Serve.
1. Some varieties of cabbage cook quicker than others. If need be, change the cooking time. Add a little more water when needed.
Variations in Recipes
1. Use smoked sausage, rather than bacon
2. Instead, using chicken salami
3. Add 1 lb of BBQ Sauce
4. Using 1 cupped tomato pasta
While adding bacon
1. You can use any form of bacon you prefer-normal, turkey, or vegan. Just note that turkey bacon and vegan bacon aren’t fatty enough so you’re going to have to add extra butter or grease.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.