Prep time: 10 min | Cooking: 35 min | Total: 45 min | Servings: 5 | Yield: 4 to 6 servings
What food is a more pure comfort than a hashbrown casserole? You have tender, creamy shredded potatoes floating in a rich sauce, all hidden beneath a golden hot cheese crust. It walks a delicious line between breakfast and side dishes. There are many types of potato casseroles, but the crown goes to the hash brown version of Cracker Barrel, for pure yumminess.
The recipe I’ve settled on is fast, super satisfying, and possibly even better — if only because you can have some in the comfort of your own home whenever you want. It is a great breakfast casserole, any holiday morning, or just when you get the family together for a nice breakfast or brunch. I recently made this to go for a Sunday dinner with meatloaf. That week we were a small crowd, and five adults polished this casserole off all but one side. To be sure, it was the only side dish we had, but we somehow crushed it. We couldn’t resist taking one more trip after another. So essentially, you should be sure this will be a huge, massive success every time you make it.
(1) (2 lbs) package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
½ cup butter softened
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ cup chopped onion
(1) (10.75 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven about 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9×13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Combine potatoes, butter, salt, pepper, onions, soup, and cheese in a large bowl. Mix gently and pour it into the prepared pan or dish.
3. In the preheated oven, bake for 35 minutes until it turns brown.
1. It is best to serve this with pork chops, or a casual breakfast with crispy fried eggs. Also, you can easily reheat the leftovers.
2. This simple hashbrown and the cheesy casserole can be frozen easily. We normally prepare this as directed and freeze any leftovers in individual servings, making it the perfect lunch or fast dinner.
Per Serving: 550.3 calories; 101.1 mg cholesterol; 1333.7 mg sodium; 16.7 g protein; 38.4 g carbohydrates.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.