Raisins, sunflower seeds, and a smooth, slightly sweetened dressing of mayonnaise make this broccoli salad a delicious dish for every time. This version is a small change from the classic broccoli salad with frozen (thawed) peas. They add additional texture and flavor, but you can keep them away or use a combination of pea and carrot. Customize the salad and make it your favorite broccoli salad.
Walnuts or tanned pecans add the salad nicely, replace the seeds of the sunflower if you like them. A sweet, fruity, sweet, and dried cranberry or chopped dried cherries will add to raisins. Make the salad a couple of hours before serving, and cool it until it is chilled thoroughly. In a covered container in the fridge, store the remaining broccoli salad up to three days.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
½ pound bacon
4 heads broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
1 ½ cups raisins
1 ½ cups unsalted sunflower seeds
½ cup chopped onion
1 cup mayonnaise
¼ cup white sugar
¼ cup granular sucralose sweetener (such as Splenda®)
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1. Place your bacon in a large skillet and cook for 10 minutes over medium to high heat. Drain slices of bacon and onto the paper towels and crumble.
2. In a large bowl, add bacon, broccoli, grapes, sunflower seeds, and onions.
3. In another bowl, whisk mayonnaise, sugar, sweetener, and vinegar until smooth. Place the mixture and toss to coat over broccoli. Cool until ready to be served.
1. Combine the vegetables with the bacon in the serving bowl to make a day in advance. Combine the ingredients in a small bowl. Toss the dressing in the salad about an hour before serving time.
2. Substitute sunflower seeds with walnuts slipped pecans and slivered almonds. Toast the nuts with medium heat in a dry skillet. Cook, stirring until lightly browned and flavored.
3. Add a cup of shredded carrot and cut fresh celery to the salad for additional color and crunch.
4. Replace mayonnaise with greyish yogurt and use less bacon to lighten the salad a bit.
5. Replace the sugar, like the liquid sucralose or stevia, with a drop or two.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.