This is another Mexican dish that is very easy to make. It is full of flavours, irresistibly good, and a great meal to spice up your Taco nights with friends and family. It will only take you 10 minutes to prepare, then pop this baby in the oven and wait until it’s done. Oh, by the way, since we are making this from scratch, we have a lot of swap options available! A secret; use lean ground beef, season well, and add more cheese! Anyway, who would not want a super cheesy burrito casserole, right?
You can make this ahead time as well. Just put it in an airtight bag and freeze. Frozen burrito casserole will last up to 2 months. And you will only need additional 15-20 minutes baking time for frozen burritos. As for the ingredients, yes, of course, you are welcome to substitute ground beef with cooked chicken, leave the beans, or go vegetarian. For a creamy burrito casserole, you can add cream of chicken soup. Sky’s the limit with this burrito casserole!
We don’t want a soggy burrito casserole so what should we do to get the right consistency? We need to boil down the liquid, get a thick enough mixture so it will be easy to wrap in the burritos.
1 pound ground beef, lean
1 small onion, chopped
10 oz of canned black beans, drained
2/3 c corn
¾ c salsa
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt & pepper, to taste
8 flour tortillas, 8-inch size
2 1/2 cups of shredded cheese, a mixture of cheddar and jack
Serving – optional
green onions, chopped
How to make Baked Burrito Casserole
1. Ready the oven. Preheat to 350 degrees F. With a nonstick cooking spray, grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Set aside.
2. Cook the ground beef in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Stir the beef for 3-5 minutes or until mostly browned. Strain grease.
4. Add the chopped onion, and cook until soft.
5. Add the black beans, salsa, and corn. Then, add the oregano, cumin, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Stir for about 3 minutes.
6. Put about 1/2 cup of beef mixture to the bottom centre of the flour tortilla, roll up into a burrito shape.
7. Place seam side down the filled burritos into the pan.
8. Fill the pan with only eight burritos, and sprinkle with shredded cheese on top.
9. Place inside the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes until cheese is melted.
10. Once done, remove from the oven. Sprinkle with chopped green onions, serve warm. Enjoy!
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.