Classic cabbage rolls are a tasty yet time-consuming classic, so we’ve revamped them with a new casserole makeover. We omitted several steps to make this version much smoother but retained all the flavors that are popular for cabbage rolls: hard ground beef, thick tomato sauce, and savory chopped cabbage. Create a place in your dinner-rotation for this latest classic. My Cabbage Roll Casserole recipe is full of a finely cooked mixture of pork and rice, soft cabbage, and cheese topping. It is a perfect dinner that you can conveniently put away together. With directions included to transform this into a freezer dinner, decent frozen food is going to be a cinch every weekend night.
2 pounds ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 (29 ounces) can tomato sauce
3 1/2 pounds chopped cabbage
1 cup uncooked white rice
1 tsp salt
2 (14 ounces) can beef broth
1. Preheat oven at about 175 degrees C (350 degrees F).
2. Cook and brown the beef in oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet until redness is gone. Drain the fat.
3. Combine the onion, tomato sauce, cabbage, sugar, and salt in one large mixing pot. Add meat, and combine. Pour the mix into a baking dish of 9×13 inches. Pour broth over meat mixture and bake, covered, for 1 hour in the preheated oven. Clean, add the coat, and bake for another 30 minutes.
1. Casseroles, by themselves, are a perfect dinner. This dinner is full of cabbage that is tasty and nutritious. I serve a dollop of sour cream to complement each bite on this casserole. If you like more vegetables on the table, I would recommend you roast some as your casserole bakes or serves a salad.
2. Move the remaining leftovers to an airtight container or keep them in the casserole bowl, lined with plastic wrap. Leftovers in the fridge will last you for 3-4 days.
3. Heat individual portions in the microwave or reheat the casserole in the oven covered with foil. Preheat at about 350 degrees F and bake until heated, for 15 minutes.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.