Scalloped potatoes are always a hit during dinners and on holiday, so why not enjoy them every day? You will go nuts for them just how my family and I felt when we first bite. This recipe is good if you want to use all your Kielabasa from your pantry, treat your family with this healthy dish.
1 Tbsp oil
(1) – 14 oz kielbasa – sliced and cut
(1) medium sweet onion, sliced and cut
(6) medium potatoes – peeled, washed and sliced
2 c cheddar or favorite shredded cheese
3 1/2 Tbsp butter
4 1/2 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 c chicken broth
1 c heavy cream
1/2 c milk
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 to 3/4 tsp of Kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Add oil – once heated, add the kielbasa & onions, stirring periodically – into a medium-high skillet over medium-high heat – you want the sausage to start caramelizing and the onion to soften. Set aside.
2. Peel and wash potatoes, then slice. Should do it forwards, hold it in cold water. You might also par-cook these now, if you use a hard potato, such as Russets, to cut down on baking time. I usually boil for 10-15 minutes to soften a couple.
3. Start the sauce: melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan and add the flour once melted, whisk to make a paste, and cook for about a minute to prevent the flour’s flavor.
4. Slowly add the broth and whisk as adding, make sure no lumps are present. Add the cream and milk, and then seasonings. Stir regularly until the white sauce has thickened. Taste it and see if more seasonings are needed.
5. In a 4-quarter saucepan, ladle sauce enough to fill the bottom of the platter. Next, half the layer of potatoes, then half the mixture of kielbasa and onions. Next, half the cheese.
6. Repeat sauce layer, potatoes, kielbasa, and finish with cheese. (Push potatoes int the white sauce). Once the sauce is heated, it should cover the potatoes.
7. Cover for 45 minutes and bake in a 350-degree oven. Then remove foil and bake for 40 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
8. Serve with your favorite vegetable and maybe a good slice of crusty bread. Enjoy!
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.