Sweet potatoes are my favorite hands down. They ‘re incredibly versatile — boiled sweet potatoes, stuffed sweet potatoes, and sweet potato burrito bowls are only a few of the many ways we enjoy them. So I decided to combine one of my favorite cold weather (stew) recipes with my favorite veggie and that’s how it came to be this sweet potato stew. It’s not only packed with flavor and hearty texture, but it’s also so easy to make. Besides a bit of chopping, it’s a kind of meal like “dump everything into the crockpot and forget it!”
3 c (2 potatoes) medium-sized sweet potatoes chopped
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 small yellow onion
8-ounce bag mini carrots
1 can (15 oz) of corn, I use fire-roasted
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 lb of beef chuck roast, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp of seasoned salt and pepper
1 bay leaf
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp fresh parsley
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 cup of water
Optional: fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Grease the non-stick spray in a slow cooker. I’m using a six-quarter crockpot.
2. Peel the sweet potatoes and chop them into big chunks. Measure to get a heap of 3 cups and place them in the slow cooker prepared.
3. Add the chopped celery, the chopped onion, the carrot packet, the corn can be drained (I buy fire-roasted corn and it adds so much flavor. It’s fine with standard canned corn in the grocery store) and undrained diced tomato.
4. Bring the flour together, season with salt and pepper. Throw the cut meat in the flour mixture (cut into 1-inch cubes, if not pre-cut) until well coated.
5. Layer the coated meat on top of all vegetables in the slow cooking oven. You don’t have to pre-cook the poultry.
6. Add in the baking sheet, minced garlic, peppers, sauce Worcestershire and fresh pepper. (To get this measurement, I chop the parsley grossly and pack it in a table).
7. Crumble the cubes of the bouillon and the water.
8. To keep it as tender as possible, stir everything together and try to submerge the meat below the veggies. Cover and cook sweet potatoes and vegetables at low temperature for 7-9 hours or 5-7 hours or until tender, and cook the meat tender. At different temperatures heat all slow cookers. I typically cook stews not big, because after the whole day I consider them more aromatic after the slow cooking (meat that is tenderer). It takes about 8 hours to cook. When you’re home, stir the stew occasionally throughout the day.
9. Ready to serve to remove the leaf from the bay.
10. Mix the ingredients and gently mash in the crockpot the tender sweet potatoes. It gives the stew a thicker, more chunky consistency and is delicious!
11. Top with some fresh parsley if desired and enjoy!
1. Fire-roasting tomatoes have such a good flavor and add much to this sweet potato stew. (The Muir Glen or Cento Marzano’s my favorite brand)
2. Beef bouillon: for beef broth, the exact cubes (affiliates, etc.) which I use for this stew are so many different options; here are. You want large ones to make sure the flavor is appropriate!
3. Using fire-roasted corn: nice taste again here! Use frozen maize (no need to thaw) instead if you don’t have access.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.