Servings: 20 | Yield: 20 bars
Apple pie bars are a fun size for a treat. These apple bars are a favorite of all time, ideal for after-school snacks, coffee with friends, or as an easy dessert. I was looking for an apple pie, but I didn’t want a classic pie. I wanted something portable and something a little deeper. I have been making this recipe for eons. It is one of my favorite combinations of crust/fruit. It is perfect for a crowd, so if they want, they can walk around with a slice of ‘apple’ in their hand. For a fancy dinner party, you can serve this with vanilla bean ice cream.
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp white sugar
(2) egg yolks
½ cup milk
½ tsp salt
1 cup shortening
(2) egg whites
(9) apple – peeled, cored and sliced
¾ cup white sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
(1) pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp milk
1. Preheat oven at about 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch pan.
2. Stir the flour, 2 tbsp of sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in the shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add and combine egg yolks and 1/2 cup of milk; stir it into the flour mixture.
3. Roll the half of the dough on a lightly floured surface out to the size of the prepared pan. Cover the inside of the pan with the dough. Then, spread though with a light coating of egg white. Fill with sliced apples and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon on top. Roll out the remaining dough and put it on top of the apples. Brush using a light coating of egg white.
4. In a preheated oven, bake it for 35 to 40 minutes until the crust is golden. Beat the confectioner’s sugar, salt, vanilla, and milk in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled bars, and cut into squares.
Per Serving: 260.5 calories; 21.2 mg cholesterol; 69 mg sodium; 2.7 g protein; 38.8 g carbohydrates.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.