The ultimate comfort food mash-up is French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Meatloaf. Take the best part of French Onion Soup-rich caramel-like onions and gooey cheese-in this French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Meatloaf and add a soupy gravy. It is so easy to prepare this meatloaf and it tastes great. Ingredients include French condensed onion soup, quickly rolled oats, crumbs of bread, and basic seasonings. Serve this meatloaf with salad and mashed potatoes, or your favorite cooked vegetables.
For the onions:
1 tbsp olive oil
(3) onions, halved and thinly sliced
½ tbsp fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp pepper
¼ cup beef broth
¼ cup red wine
For the meatloaf:
2 lbs lean ground beef
½ cup bread crumbs (gluten-free if needed)
2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
(2) eggs, lightly beaten
8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
Fresh chopped parsley for garnish, optional
For the sauce:
2½ cups beef broth
½ cup red wine
3 tbsp cornstarch
salt & pepper, to taste
For the Onions:
1. In a medium pot heat oil, add pepper, salt, onions, and cook for 15-20 minutes, often stirring or until caramelized.
2. Add the thyme, sauté for a minute or two, then attach the beef broth and the wine.
3. Reduce to very little remaining air.
4. Set aside
For the Meatloaf:
1. Preheat oven at about 350 degrees F.
2. Combine ground beef, bread crumbs and oats, parsley, pepper, salt, and eggs in a bowl. Gently combine until blended with your hands but try not to overwork the meat.
3. Press the meat mixture into a 10-inch rectangle on a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper.
4. Set aside one-half cup shredded mozzarella cheese and one-half cup caramelized onions. Sprinkle over ground beef evenly with the remaining 11⁄2 cup cheese and the caramelized onions. Fold like a jelly roll, starting at the short end, lifting as you roll the wax paper or plastic wrap. Completely seal the end and place the seam side down into a baking pan of 9×13 inches.
5. Sauce – Whisk, simmer, cook until warm. Warm.
6. In the oven, put the pot and cook for 45 minutes. Prepare the sauce while the meatloaf is baked.
7. Remove the sauce from the oven and sprinkle with the onions and the cheese that were reserved.
8. Return the meatloaf to the frying pan for 15-20 minutes. Place 2-3 minutes under the broiler or brown and bubble the cheese.
9. Garnish, if desired, with fresh parsley. Take out the oven and allow 10 minutes to stand. Slice and serve. Slice and serve.
For the Sauce:
1. In a small saucepan, whisk ingredients together, bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. Reduce and let it simmer until thickened and reduced.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.