Prep: 25min| Cook: 7hrs 14mins | Additional: 5mins | Total: 7hr44min| Serving: 8 | Yield: 8 servings
The recipe for Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage was given to me by my Mom. It is the only cabbage recipe I enjoy eating the most when I was a child. My mom told me I was too picky with what I eat, but this is an exemption. She said, whenever she served this, I will always eat more than my usual serving. She uses a simple combination of ingredients, which includes a filling made from a mixture of ground beef, fresh sausage and rice, and a thick flavored tomato sauce. The freshness of the ingredients makes it more flavorful and delicious.
(1) head Cabbage, raw
1 tbsp oil, soybean, salad or cooking
(1) onions, raw
(2) cloves Garlic, raw
¾ cup rice, white, long-grain, regular, raw, enriched
1 lb beef, ground, regular, (about 27% fat), raw
1 lb pork sausage, fresh, raw
(1) egg, whole, raw, fresh
(1) (32 oz) can Tomato juice, canned, with salt added
1. Let a large pot of water boil. Cook cabbage until outer leaves pull away easily from the head for 3 to 5 minutes in boiling water. Separate the leaves and let it cool. Make sure to reserve 1 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic, cook until translucent stir for 5 minutes. Add and stir in wet rice; cook and stir until moisture evaporates for a minute. Take off from the heat and allow cooling for 5 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, add and mix beef, sausage, and egg. Stir in cooled rice mixture.
4. Put a golfball-sized amount of the beef mixture on the ribbed end of a cabbage leaf; roll up, tucking in the sides. Repeat with the remaining beef mixture and cabbage leaves.
5. Add and place rolls seam-side down in a slow cooker, then cover with tomato juice. Add the reserved cooking water on top.
6. Cook for 30 minutes over high, then switch to low and cook for 6 1/2 hours.
1. If preferred, you can use vegetable juice instead of tomato juice.
2. Boil for 30 to 45 minutes in a large pot if you’re using a stove.
Per Serving: 403 calories; 91.2 mg cholesterol; 884 mg sodium; 22.4 g protein; 30.6 g carbohydrates.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.