Prep time: 15 min | Cook: 33 min | Total: 48 min | Servings: 20 | Yield: 20 servings
When we get back to visit and meet our grandparents in our hometown, it’s so refreshing; we wish we could go more frequently. There are so many memories, and we love returning to it. So much as we enjoy visiting all the locations, we can’t wait for some good old family food recipes and nice talks together with family. When we get together with Grandma and Grandpa, it is a sure bet that at the end of the meal, one of the dishes will be macaroni and cheese, and not a single morsel will be left in the pot. If we think of macaroni and cheese, we still think of the ultimate comfort food of Grandma, and it’s the creamy Southern Macaroni and Cheese. Southern macaroni and cheese are comfort food and are somewhat distinct from other recipes for mac and cheese. I hope you’ll try this recipe for Grandma’s Southern Mac and Cheese Recipe, and enjoy it with your family and friends.
1 pound elbow macaroni
4 lbs Cheddar cheese, sliced
1 ½ cups milk
(5) eggs, or more to taste
1 tbsp yellow mustard
(1) pinch ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to about 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni for 8 minutes in the boiling water until tender yet firm to the bite, stirring occasionally. Drain.
3. In a 5-quart baking dish, add and layer some of the macaroni, then top with a layer of Cheddar cheese. Continue layering the macaroni and Cheddar cheese into the dish, ending with a Cheddar cheese layer.
4. Beat the milk, eggs, and mustard together in a bowl; pour over macaroni mixture, ensuring milk mixture gets to all of the macaroni.
5. Bake until cheese melts and just before cheese around the sides gets crisp for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven. Season with black pepper.
Per Serving: 477.8 calories; 143.3 mg cholesterol; 599 mg sodium; 27.8 g protein; 19.1 g carbohydrates.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.