Talk about a meal that will make you happy and satisfied! This recipe is fully packed with ingredients. I mean, Rice, Chicken, and Broccoli in one dish. My kids enjoy this meal despite their lack of interest in vegetables. I was able to come up with a dinner that would make them want to eat healthy and delicious food at the same time. If you cook something so nice, apparently kids will just dig in without asking what’s in it! Try this amazing recipe. Surprise your kids tonight! Enjoy!
1 3/4 c. low-sodium chicken stock
2 c. instant brown rice (if you use white rice or non-instant rice, the cooking time and amount of liquid needed may differ)
1 pound broccoli florets, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size pieces
3/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
3/4 tsp. garlic powder, divided
1/2 tsp. black pepper, divided
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 cups of milk, divided (I used skim)
3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/3 c. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 1/2 c. reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese, divided (about 6 ounces)
How to make Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a deep 9-inch-square baking dish or a 3-quart casserole dish.
2. Ready the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Put a rack in the middle part of the oven. Grease the deep 9-inch square baking dish lightly. (You can also use a 3-quart casserole)
3. Bring a large pot into a boil with the chicken stock in it and add rice. Add in the broccoli on top of the rice and do not stir. Cover and turn the heat low. Cook for another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and remove the pot and let it sit for another 5 minutes to dissolve the liquid in the rice.
4. Place a deep pot with olive oil in the oven and turn the heat to medium-high. Add the chicken breasts, 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder, 1/4 tsp. of pepper, and 1/2 tsp. of salt. Sauté the ingredients until it’s cooked for 4-6 minutes. Check if the chicken is cooked through by looking if the center is not pink then move to a plate. At this stage, the pot is really hot so be very cautious not to hurt yourself.
5. Now, turn the heat to medium. Add in 1/2 cup of milk and flour in a small bowl or a big measuring cup. Pour in the mixture into the pot and add the remainder of the milk. Cook for 7-10 minutes while stirring until the texture turns thick. Turn off the heat and add in the Dijon, 1/4 tsp. of garlic powder, 1/4 tsp. black pepper and 1/4 tsp. salt. Add in the 1 cup of shredded cheese and Greek yogurt until smooth and creamy.
6. Add in the broccoli mixture, saved chicken breasts, and rice into the cheese sauce. Stir mildly to coat the 3 ingredients with the sauce. Transfer the mixture into the dish and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese over the top. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until foamy and hot. Let it sit for another 10 minutes and it’s for serving!
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.