Prep Time: 10 MINUTES | Cook Time: 50 MINUTES | Total Time: 1 HR | Servings: 10
A delicious Noodle Soup that you can make in an Instant Pot or Slow cooker. A homemade classic that has been loved and enjoyed for ages.
1 teaspoon oil or butter
2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs (or a mix of thighs and breasts)
1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups sliced celery
1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (1 teaspoon dried)
12 cups chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
8-ounce Kluski egg noodles
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
Salt and pepper
How to make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Step 1: Add oil in a large 6 to 8-quart soup pot. Set over medium heat.
Step 2: On both sides, generously sprinkle the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Put in the pot skin-side down.
Step 3: Cook the chicken for about 3 minutes on both sides until brown. Once done, remove the cooked chicken from the pot and set aside.
Step 4: Saute the onions and garlic in the chicken fat for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add in the celery, carrots, and thyme. Stir for 2 minutes more.
Step 5: Pour in the chicken broth and add in the bay leaves and turmeric in the pot.
Step 6: Place the chicken thighs back to the pot and season with 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Mix well and simmer for about 30 minutes, covered. You can adjust the heat to low if needed.
Step 7: Take the bay leaves and chicken thighs out using tongs.
Step 8: Transfer the thighs on a cutting board.
Step 9: Add in the egg noodles into the soup and stir. Allowing to simmer for 6 to 9 minutes more or until the pasta is cooked.
Step 10: In the meantime, take the skins and bones of the chicken off. Then, shred the chicken using a fork and put the shredded chicken back into the soup.
Step 11: In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch and lemon juice.
Step 12: When the noodles are almost done, stir the cornstarch-lemon juice mixture into the soup. This will thicken the soup a bit. Then, stir in the chopped parsley. Season according to taste.
There are two varieties you can make. The first one is the Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup. See the steps below.
1. On a stovetop as mentioned, brown the chicken and cook the vegetables.
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients but leave the noodles and parsley. Cook for 6 to 8 hours on low or 4 to 3 hours on high.
3. Then, add in the noodles and stir. Continue cooking for 30 minutes more.
4. In the meantime, remove from the chicken from the pot, remove the skins and bones, and shred. Place the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker. And stir in the parsley.
The second variety is the Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup.
1. Do steps 1 and 2 from the original recipe.
2. Place the chicken thighs, chicken broth, bay leaves, and turmeric to the pot. Then, season with 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Stir well and cover. Cook on Soup setting for about 10 minutes.
3. Do a natural release. For this, it’ll take about 8 to 10 minutes for the steam valve to drop.
4. Then, simmer by setting the pot on manual. Do steps 4, 5, and 6 from the above recipe.
Serving: 1.5cups, Calories: 279kcal, Carbohydrates: 23g, Protein: 16g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 87mg, Sodium: 1122mg, Potassium: 573mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 3520iu, Vitamin C: 27mg, Calcium: 55mg, Iron: 2mg
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.