This Italian Cream Cake comes with three layers of moist cake filled with shredded coconut and toasted pecans. It is full of whipped cream cheese frosting and frosting for a lovely light and classic cake. It doesn’t seem to be known the origin of Italian cream cake. And it’s not Italian in origin, even though it’s named. It’s more like a cake in the south, defined by the frosting of coconut, pecan, and cream cheese.
For the Cake:
(1) stick butter, room temperature
1/2 c shortening, Crisco
2 c sugar
(5) egg yolk
(5) egg whites, stiffly beaten-like meringue
2 c cake flour
1 tsp soda
1 c buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1 c pecan nuts, chopped
1 can(s) coconut
For the Creamed Cheese Frosting:
(8 oz) packaged cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
(1) box powdered sugar
(1/2) stick butter
1. Preheat oven at about 325 ° C. Grease and flour 9-inch pans.
2. Shorting and creaming butter: add sugar and beat the mixture until smooth. Add yolks to the eggs and beat well.
3. Combine the flour, soda and alternately add buttermilk to the creamed mixture.
4. Stir in some cocoa. Add and season with coconut and nuts.
5. Fold in white eggs, stiffly beaten. Don’t overbeat
6. Pour the mixture in (3) 9-inch greased and floured pans. Usually, I use 2 round pans.
7. Let cake cool before frosting.
8. Bake for about 325 degrees, or until done.
9. Keep around 1/4 cup of coconut, and enough pecans to decorate the cake.
- For 2 pans: Bake for 35-40 minutes
- For 3 pans: Bake for 30 minutes
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
1. Add and beat the butter and the cream cheese until smooth.
2. Stir in sugar, then blend properly.
3. Beat and add vanilla until smooth.
4. Spread between layers, over the cake. Sprinkle with chopped pecans and coconut saved on top.
Shortening in an Italian Cream Cake is traditionally used, and I find better flavor compliments for both coconut and pecans. However, if you prefer, the cake will work very well with all of the butter.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.