Prep time: 20 min | Cook: 15 min | Additional: 30 min | Total: 1 hr 5 min | Servings: 36 | Yield: 36 cookies
The days I turn my nose up at cakey cookies are long gone because lemon ricotta cookies, with all their fragrant cake-like glory, have stolen my heart altogether. First, these cookies aren’t like chocolate. The ricotta gives less texture and less of a taste.
I’ve eaten ricotta cookies once or twice before, and they always left me unimpressed, but this one I never had. It was light and moist. It played on my tongue like a spritely sugarplum fairy dressed in a yellow tutu. It was a black and white cookie but soaked in sweet lemon.
1 cup white sugar
½ cup unsalted butter softened
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp almond extract
½ tsp lemon zest
(1) large egg, room temperature
(2) cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
For the Icing (optional):
½ cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to about 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, add and beat sugar and butter with an electric mixer on low speed until blended. Increase the speed to high and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in ricotta cheese, lemon juice, almond extract, lemon zest, and egg on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed to low,
add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually mix until it forms a dough.
3. For 2-inches apart, drop the dough using a cookie scoop onto the prepared baking dish.
4. Bake until cookies are very lightly golden but still soft, 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Take away from the oven and transfer to a wire rack, let it cool completely before icing for 30 minutes.
5. In a small bowl, add and stir the powdered sugar and lemon juice to make a smooth icing. Drizzle icing onto the cookies. Set aside to allow icing to dry completely.
Per Serving: 79.7 calories; 11.9 mg cholesterol; 55.1 mg sodium; 0.9 g protein; 12.8 g carbohydrates.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.