Prep: 20 min | Cook: 10 mins | Additional: 1 day | Total: 1 day 30 min | Servings: 12 | Yield: 12 servings
I recall when I first had this salad, I was in my cousin’s place. I spent about a week in their house, and I noticed that they have a mini garden behind their house. It’s like a greenhouse full of vegetables and fruits. I asked my cousin about it because I know he doesn’t eat that much fruit and vegetables, and he said that a recipe inspires him and that he is sure I’ll love it. The next morning I was surprised to see a salad in the table, he said he got the recipe from the internet, Miss Betty’s 24 Hour Lettuce Salad, and decided to try it. Also, that mini garden was his idea because he thinks using fresh ingredients is better.
What can I say? It’s so delicious, and as a vegetable and fruit lover, I can guarantee that you will enjoy this too, it is surely a must-try for everyone. Each ingredient compliments each other and creates a mouthwatering salad.
¾ pound sliced bacon
(1) large head iceberg lettuce, shredded
¼ cup sliced onion
¼ cup thinly sliced celery
(1) (8 oz) can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
(1) (10 oz) package frozen peas
1 cup mayonnaise, or to taste
1 tbsp white sugar
2 tbsp grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
(4) tomatoes, cut into wedges
(2) hard-cooked eggs, sliced
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. Spread lettuce out on a large serving dish or bowl. Sprinkle the onion, celery, water chestnuts, and frozen peas (unthawed) over the lettuce in layers. Add and spread mayonnaise over the top like a frosting. Sprinkle with sugar and grated cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
3. Before serving, add and sprinkle crumbled bacon over the top and garnish with tomato wedges, slices of hard-cooked egg, and parsley.
Per Serving: 248.7 calories; 49.6 mg cholesterol; 385.7 mg sodium; 7.5 g protein; 11.3 g carbohydrates.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.