Defined as the Southern Comfort Food – this mouthwatering dish is rich and satisfying. Add meat or rice to it to make it a meal. You can even add turkey or chicken, maybe some leftovers – or anything! The natural sweetness of the squash underneath and the buttery crushed cracker on top are a perfect match. Either, mash the squash or cut it into small pieces, it does not matter. And don’t hesitate to add your favorite seasoning as well!
3 lb yellow squash, sliced or diced
1/2 cup diced Vidalia onion, optional
1 can cream of mushroom or chicken soup, 10.5 oz.
1 cup mayonnaise
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese (sharp is my favorite)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 sleeves of Ritz crackers, crushed
1 stick melted butter
How to make this Mouthwatering Squash Casserole from the South
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash the squash. Slice into smaller pieces or mash it, depends on how you like it. Then put into a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the soup, mayo, eggs, cheese, onions, salt, and pepper.
4. Pour the sliced or mashed squash with the mixed ingredients.
5. Give it a good stir until all ingredients are well mixed.
6. Pour into a casserole dish.
7. Put the crackers inside a resealable plastic bag and crush using a rolling pin or meat tenderizer.
8. Melt butter in the microwave.
9. Put crushed crackers in a bowl and pour in the melted butter. Stir until moist.
10. Drizzle on top of casserole. You can add more or less topping but more is what I prefer.
11. Finally, baking time! Bake casserole at 350 degrees until top is bubbly and brown. It usually will take about 45-50 minutes.
12. Then, bake for another 30 minutes. Don’t forget to cover it with foil to prevent a cracker from burning.
13. After 30 minutes, remove foil and bake for additional 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.