The aroma of freshly baked bread is so irresistible. This Old-Fashioned Soft and Buttery Yeast Rolls are simple enough to prepare. They are super soft and melts in your mouth.
1 pkg active dry yeast (equals 2 1/4 tsp)
1/4 c warm water
1/3 c white, granulated sugar
1/4 c butter, softened
1 tsp salt
1 c hot milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 1/2 c sifted all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp butter, melted (for brushing rolls)
How to Make Old-Fashioned Soft and Buttery Yeast Rolls
1. In a large bowl, pour in hot water and sprinkle yeast over. Stir until dissolved. Leave to foam for about 10 minutes.
2. Add sugar, 1/4 cup butter and salt to hot milk. Keep stirring until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Cool mixture to 105 to 115 degrees.
3. Pour milk mixture to yeast and add the egg. Beat 4 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time, to form a soft dough. Use some of the remaining flour to dust a pastry cloth.
4. You will need to knead the dough lightly for 5 minutes. Use remaining flour for flouring pastry cloth and your hands.
5. Place dough in a warm, buttered bowl. Turn greased side up. Cover and put in a warm place. Let it rise until about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
6. Lightly floured pastry cloth. Punch dough down and knead for 4 to 5 minutes. The dough is sticky, but make sure to use just a little flour as possible for flouring, otherwise, rolls will not be as feathery light as they should be.
7. Use a large knife to cut dough into 4 pieces. Then, cut each piece into small pieces, roll into round balls, about 1 3/4 inches in diameter. While rolling, pull sides down and under to shape the roll. Place the bottom side down in neat rows in a well-buttered 13 X 9 X 2-inch pan.
8. Cover rolls and allow to rise for about 30-45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Then, brush the top with melted butter.
9. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until nicely browned. Depends on your oven, you can adjust the oven temperature accordingly.
10. For a buttery soft crust, you can brush rolls with more butter while they are hot. The butter will sizzle down, side and bottom.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.