Hey there! Here’s another awesome recipe I have for you! Try this at home the next time you have a family gathering or some friends are coming over. I’m sure they’re gonna love it! It’s quite complicated but it’s gonna be worth it. You’ll see. Anyway, Enjoy baking and make sure to put a smile on your face. It takes away all the tiredness.
Coconut Cake Ingredients
11 oz AP flour (all-purpose)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
4 oz unsalted butter room temperature
14 oz granulated sugar
4 oz vegetable oil
5 large egg yolks, room temperature
5 large egg whites, room temperature
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. coconut extract
8 oz buttermilk, room temperature
6 oz sweetened flaked coconut (toasted until lightly browned)
1 oz sweetened flaked coconut toasted (for garnish)
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
16 ounces of cream cheese cut into cubes and softened
8 ounces of unsalted butter softened
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
36 ounces of sifted powdered sugar
Coconut Cake Instructions
1. Before we start baking, make sure that all the ingredients are at room temperature and should remain at room temperature. Do not refrigerate.
2. Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees C. Prepare three 8×2-inch round cake pans. (Apply cake goop)
3. Spread and bake the coconut flakes in a cookie sheet pan for 2-3 minutes or until the edges are brown. Stir the coconut gently and bake for a minute or two or until color turns light gold. Make sure to check it regularly to prevent from burning. Once done, remove from the oven and let it cool.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
5. Add the coconut extract, vanilla extract, and oil into the buttermilk. In a mixing bowl, place egg whites. Keep the whip attachment and set to medium-high heat. Add the cream of tartar and whip until firm. (Remember to keep the moist texture) Set aside.
6. Add butter to the stand mixer and beat for about 30 seconds at medium speed until it becomes smooth. Add egg yolks to the mixture. 1 yolk at a time, keep beating until well-mixed.
7. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the batter. Adjust the mixer speed to low. Add 1/3 of milk immediately and mix thoroughly until it is absorbed by the batter. Repeat the process until the batter is blended perfectly. Once finished, turn off the mixer and using a spatula, sweep the sides of the bowl.
8. Combine the whipped egg whites and toasted coconut into the batter.
9. Split the batter evenly into the pans then, use the spatula to smoothen the top portion. Bake for about 25-30 minutes. You can a toothpick to determine the doneness of your cake. Just pinch the center of your cake using a toothpick. If it comes out clean, you’re good to go!
10. Place the pans in the wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Gently, remove the cake from the pan and let it cool completely before frosting.
For the Cream cheese frosting
1. Whisk the soft butter using your stand mixer until smooth. In the same bowl, add the softened cream cheese and whisk until both ingredients are well-mixed.
2. Add filtered powdered sugar, one cup at a time. And whisk until well-mixed. Now, add the coconut extract and salt. Blend until smooth at low speed.
3. Place the mixture into a bowl and add coconut and vanilla extract. Whisk until well-mixed. Refrigerate for 2 hours and don’t forget to cover with plastic wrap.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.