Prep time:15 mins | Cooking: 25 min | Total: 40 min | Servings: 4 | Yield: 4 servings
I am a fan of various kinds of varieties nowadays, and find mushrooms in everything, from the risotto, pasta, to burgers, even roasted, and “filled with gills.” Since mushrooms nowadays are a must-have in my pizza, I have been inspired by this funky and whimsical little stuffed portobello mushroom recipe that brings the pizzas into a cap.
Since the mushrooms can be some “acquired taste” by other people and children, in particular, it can be a great way to prepare them in a special and tasty manner, with ingredients reminding them of other foods they enjoy. Not just a tasty and quick weekend meal, these stuffed portobello mushrooms are a fun turn to a classic pizza.
(4 large) portobello mushroom caps (stems and gills fully remove)
1 tbsp reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
(1) clove garlic, minced
(1) pinch salt and ground black pepper
1 (10 oz) bag fresh spinach, chopped
¼ cup chopped pepperoni
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
3 tbsp seasoned bread crumbs, divided
1. Preheat oven at about 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
2. Brush with Italian dressing both the sides of each portobello mushroom cap. On a baking dish, arrange the mushroom and gill sides up.
3. In a preheated oven, bake it for 12 minutes until tender. Drain any of the juice that forms in the mushroom.
4. In a large bowl, beat egg, garlic, salt, and black pepper.
5. Stir the spinach, pepperoni, Parmesan cheese, 3 tbsp of mozzarella cheese, and 3 tbsp of bread crumbs into the eggs until mix evenly.
6. Divide the spinach mixture over the mushroom caps, then sprinkle it with the remaining 1 tbsp of mozzarella cheese and a tbsp of bread crumbs. Return the mushrooms to the oven.
7. Continue baking until the topping turns golden brown and the cheese melts for 10 minutes more.
Use chopped red pepper rather than pepperoni for the vegetarian versions.
Per Serving: 168.2 calories; 70.4 mg cholesterol; 590.5 mg sodium; 11.3 g protein; 7.5 g carbohydrates.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.