Prep: 45 min | Total: 4 hrs 30 min | Yield: 12 Servings
This Strawberry-Lemonade Cake is a delicious, buttery, lemon cake full of delicious strawberry swirl and tangy lemon glazes. Every bite is full of lemons and delicious strawberries. The stunning cake can be assembled up to two days ahead and kept at room temperature. You can also freeze cooled layers in plastic wrap and aluminum foil for up to a month.
For the Cake:
1 cup butter, softened
(4) large eggs, separated
2 cups granulated sugar
3 cups cake flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/8 tsp table salt
1 cup milk
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
For Strawberry-lemonade jam:
(2 1/2) cups coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tbsp cornstarch
For Strawberry Frosting:
(1) (8 oz) package cream cheese softened
2/3 cup sugar, divided
2/3 cup chopped fresh strawberries
(1) drop pink food coloring gel (optional)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to about 350°. Add and beat the butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
2. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beat until blended after each addition. Stir together flour and next (2) ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended. Stir in zest and juice.
3. In a large bowl, add and beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form. Stir one-third of egg whites gently into batter; fold in remaining egg whites. Spoon batter into (4) greased (with shortening) and floured a 9-inch round cake pans.
4. Bake to about 350° for 16 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow 10 minutes to cool in pans on wire racks, take off pans to wire racks, and cool down completely.
For the Strawberry-Lemonade Jam:
1. In a blender, process the strawberries until smooth. Press through a wire-mesh strainer into a (3-qt) saucepan, squeeze out the juice using the back of a spoon. Discard the pulp. Stir in the sugar.
2. Whisk lemon juice and cornstarch; gradually whisk into strawberry mixture. Let the mixture boil over medium heat, simmer for one minute, whisking continuously. Remove from heat. Add and place plastic wrap directly on warm jam; chill 2 hours or until cold. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to a week.
1. Add with an electric mixer the cream cheese and 1/3 c of sugar beat until smooth. Add the strawberries and food coloring (if desired); beat until blended.
2. Beat cream and juice at medium speed until foamy; increase speed to medium-high, and slowly add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold half of the cream mixture into cheese mixture; fold in remaining cream mixture. Use immediately.
For Cake Layer:
1. Add and place (1) cake layer on a serving platter, and spread with about 1/2 cup Strawberry-Lemonade Jam, leaving a 1/2-inch border around edges. Spoon a cup of Strawberry Frosting into a zip-top plastic freezer bag. Cut a small hole into the edge of the bag. Pipe a ring of frosting around the cake layer just inside the top edge. Add second and third cake layers on top, repeating the procedure with filling and frosting between each layer. Add last cake layer on top, and spread remaining Strawberry Frosting on top and sides of the cake.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.