Prep time: 40 min | Cooking: 1 hr 25 min | Additional: 1 hr | Total: 3 hrs 5 min | Servings: 9 | Yield: 9 servings
I love Strawberries, but you know what I like most? A delicious cake with strawberries. This Strawberry Lemonade Meringue Pie is a must-try, must-have dessert, perfect for summer. But if you ask me, it’s fine regardless of the season. You should check this recipe and try this with your family and friends.
For the Crust:
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp white sugar
1 tsp salt
½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
½ cup cold vegetable shortening
½ cup of ice-cold water
For the Strawberry Compote:
4 cups hulled, quartered fresh strawberries
1 cup white sugar
½ cup lemon juice
For the Pie Filling:
1 ½ cups water
(1 ⅓) cups white sugar
½ cup cornstarch
¼ tsp salt
(5) eaches egg yolks
½ cup lemon juice
3 tbsp butter
2 tbsp lemon zest
(6) eaches egg whites
¼ tsp cream of tartar
3 tbsp white sugar
1. In a large mixing bowl, add and whisk flour, sugar, and salt together for the crust until well combined. Add and mix butter and shortening until pea-sized crumbs form. Drizzle in water a tbsp at a time and gently mix until the dough starts to come together. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and pack into a ball. Cut the dough in half and flatten into (2) discs. Lightly cover each with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
2. Preheat oven about 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
3. Roll a piece of dough to fit a pie pan, and reserve the second piece for another use. Use a fork, prick the bottom to prevent bubbles. Line dough with parchment paper or aluminum foil, making sure to cover the bottom and sides. Fill crust with pie weights, dried beans, or dry rice to weigh it down.
4. In the preheated oven, bake crust until golden brown and cooked for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Take out the crust from the oven, then leave the oven on. Remove pie weights and liner and return crust to the oven, bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice over medium heat. Cook until strawberries are rendered down, 10 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
7. In a saucepan, whisk the water, sugar, cornstarch, and salt until dissolved. In a bowl, reserve a (4) tbsp of cornstarch. Heat saucepan over high heat until the mixture turns clear and thickens about 5 minutes. Add egg yolks, lemon juice, butter, and lemon zest and whisk until butter is melted, about 3 minutes more. Add a reserved slurry a tablespoon at a time until the filling mixture is thick again.
8. Pour hot filling into baked pie crust. Cover filling with strawberry compote.
9. Add and put the egg whites in a large mixing bowl and beat them at high speed with an electric mixer until bubbles begin to appear. Add cream of tartar and continue to mix on high speed until soft peaks form. Decrease the mixer to medium speed, and add sugar gradually until completely incorporated. Return mixer to high speed and mix meringue until stiff peaks form.
10. Cover the pie with meringue fully to seal in all filling.
11. Preheat oven about 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
12. In a preheated oven, bake the pie for 45 minutes until meringue topping is firm and lightly browned. Take it out of the oven and toast the peaks to a dark brown using a blow torch.
Per Serving: 670 calories; 151.1 mg cholesterol; 397.1 mg sodium; 8.3 g protein; 98.7 g carbohydrates.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.