The traditional Chicken Pot Pie recipe includes a flourishing buttery crust, a creamy sauce and a warm combination of chicken and veggies. It is also super easy to make, making it an outstanding recipe for both beginners and busy families.
Preparation Time: 45 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
2 lb chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
2 c chicken broth (enough to cover breasts)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 c half and half
3 Tbsp butter (yes, 3 tablespoons!)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 c celery, chopped
1/3 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c frozen mixed vegetables, thawed (I use green beans, corn, carrots, and peas)
2 medium potatoes, cooked and cubed (or 1 can small white potatoes, cubed)
1 Tbsp parsley, freshly chopped
1/2 tsp thyme, dried
2 pie pastry (for double-crust pie)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Mix the chicken breasts, chicken broth, salt, and pepper in a large bowl over medium-high heat. Boil and reduce to low heat. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, or before the chicken is not pink in the middle and the juices are clear.
2. Take the chicken off and let it cool. Pour into a measuring cup the remaining chicken broth mix. Let stand; fat spoon. Let stand. Add sufficient canned broth to equal 1 cup if necessary. Add half of it to 2 1/2 cups in a mixture of broth. Cut the chicken into pieces of 1/2 inch.
3. In the same pot, stir in medium heat butter or margarine. Add celery to the onion. Three minutes of sauteing, stirring. Remove the meal until well mixed. Stir in the mixture of broth and herbs gradually. Stir constantly, simmering, thickening and boiling the sauce. In the broth, stir and combine the chicken and vegetables.
4. Line one deep pastry dish with one of the baked goods and mix almost to the top.
5. Cover the mixture with the second pastry, “closing the edges” with the top and bottom pinched and then pressed against the lip of the plate. Cut a couple of flakes into the pastry and brush with beaten egg. Use any remaining scraps of the pastries to create a top design.
6. Bake for 30 minutes at a temperature of 400 degrees or until crust is golden brown, bubbling. Cool and serve for 10 minutes. The ingredients are thick and creamy when they are completed.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.