If you love a thick, creamy, and cheesy soup then this recipe is the soup for you. Furthermore, this soup includes vegetables, so you still get lots of nutrients and a supper which will warm you from the first bite. Reading the composition of this recipe you might think its the same as other soup but do not underestimate its nutritional benefits. It is perfect, just as it is bordered with broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, and celery, and perfectly seasoned with lots of leafy herbs, and since the first time we made this soup, we strongly believe that nothing else is necessary to make the soup better.
All the roux mixture and the cheese that we add at the end is essential to making this chowder. A roux is typically a thickening agent made out of butter, whisked in the meal, and cooked until it becomes golden brown. In a liquid-like chicken broth or milk or cream, you can then whisk to thicken whatever you want, our chowder. This is one of the final phases of the cooking and then the cheddar cheese is added. These steps add tons of creaminess and aroma together with a lot of cheesy aromas, so they are certainly essential and should not be skipped.
1 (32 ounces) carton low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 heads broccoli, cut into florets
1/2 pc small head cauliflower, cut into florets
3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne or chili powder
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
3 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. In a wide saucepan, Mix 1 tbsp butter and sauté onion, carrot, and celery over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes, or until soft.
2. Add garlic and sauté for another 1 min. Add Italian seasoning season, salt, pepper and thyme, cayenne or chili powder.
3. Stir in chicken or veggie broth and add cubed potatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes or check the potatoes if its tenderize with a fork.
4. Add broccoli and cauliflower to the mixture and cook until tender for an additional 6-8 minutes.
5. In a medium saucepan, pour out the remaining 4 tbsp of butter and flour. Cook the roux for 2-3 min. in milk wait until its cook, or golden brown for 2-3 minutes and then add the milk, whisk it.
6. Bring the mixture to a mild boil. Reduce the heat and stir often, add heavy cream and Stir salt and pepper and mix in the soup.
7. Stir the cheese until melted and smooth.
8. Serve hot and enjoy in a serving bowl.
Please don't forget to Like & Share this recipe with your friends. Also, make sure to follow on Facebook and Pinterest to get our latest Daily Yummy Recipes.